"I don't want anything to do with that cosmic spell that says this is how women should be, because it's just rubbish, it's just not true." - Uma Dinsmore-Tuli
In this episode of #moonwisepodcast, we speak with renowned teacher and author Uma Dinmore-Tuli about her unique approach to yoga designed especially for women's bodies and life experiences from youth to old age.
Uma met yoga in 1969, at the age of four, and fell in love. But after many years of studying and teaching traditional methods, she found herself frustrated with a system that was primarily designed by men and for men. She began to explore practices that could better support women's bodies, hearts and minds at all ages. She now teaches women's yoga around the world and has authored four books on the topic, including the massive Yoni Shakti.
In our conversation, we talk about Uma's definition of a womb and why it's such an important space for creativity. She reminds us, "our bodies are the earth" and "the womb space is connected to water and earth, that's why it's so creative." We discuss the unique historical moment we're in as women and how the resurgence of ancient feminine wisdom has been facilitated through social media. We talk about surrender as the ultimate act of courage and our hopes for future generations of girls.
We also talk about:
- Working with life force energy at any age
- Why traditional yoga may be depleting for women
- How to avoid yoga injuries in the post-natal period
- The connection of womb and climate awareness
- Living shame free for our daughters
- Learn more about Uma and womb yoga
- Get some free Yoga Nidra downloads
- Check out Uma's latest book Yoni Shakti
- Read the beautiful poem Uma mentions: "For a Mother to Be" by John O'Donohue
- Register for the Circle of Womanhood retreat with Uma in Wisconsin this June
- Connect with Uma on Instagram: @umadinsmoretuli
- Listen to Sophie Cooper's album: ReWilding